Manuka Mummy Apple & Almond Pies
400g tinned Pie Apples
80g Almond Meal
1 Tbsp MGO 30 or A sweeter you Manuka Honey with Ginger
¼ tsp Ground Cloves
¾ tsp Mixed Spice
¼ Cup Sultanas (optional)
1pkt Frozen Shortcrust Pastry 2 Tbsp Milk Fondant or lollies for eyes
1. Combine the apple, almond meal, honey, spices, and sultanas if using them in a large bowl.
2. Cut 3 of the thawed pastry sheets into 6 rectangles and cut 2 of the sheets into thin strips.
3. Brush the face of the pastry along the edge of each rectangle with milk and trim strips to place on the brushed edge to make a border so that the filling does not leak out.
4. Spoon filling onto each of the rectangles and lay the cut strips in a criss cross pattern over the top, trimming at the edges and pushing slightly to adhere the strips at the ends.
5. Bake for 30 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 170C, rotating the tray halfway through to bake evenly.
6. Cool on a wire rack and place the eyes on when cooled.