Manuka Honey & Walnut Cake
Ingredients - cake
1 cup Plain Flour
1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Salt
1 tsp Mixed Spice
The zest of 1 Orange
170g Butter, chopped
½ cup Sugar
1 Tbsp Manuka Honey MGO 30
¼ cup Milk
½ cup Walnuts, chopped.
Ingredients – Syrup
½ cup Sugar
½ cup Manuka Honey MGO 30
90 ml Water
1 tsp Juice from the Orange that you zested.
1. Preheat the oven to 175C and spray and line a 9-inch square cake pan
2. Add the Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, Mixed Spice and Orange Zest to a bowl and mix.
3. In a mixer, on high cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the Manuka Honey and mix to incorporate.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each one is added. Add half of the flour mixture, and half of the milk and mix on high for a minute. Repeat with the rest of the Milk and Flour mixture.
5. Place the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth out until it is even. Bake for approx. 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted. (Turn the cake around halfway through cooking to get an even colour on top.)
1. Combine the Sugar, Water, and Honey in a saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes until it has dissolved.
2. Add the Orange Juice, bring the mixture to a boil, and then let it simmer for a further 2-3 minutes.
3. Add some holes to the warm cake with a toothpick or skewer and pour the hot syrup over the cake. Once the cake has cooled, cut into squares, or diamond shapes and serve.
(Delicious with whipped cream.)