Manuka Honey & Blood Orange Semolina Cake
3 blood oranges
1/3 Cup Manuka Honey MGO 30
125 gm Butter
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
2 Tbsp Orange Rind (from the oranges)
1 Cup Semolina
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 cup Almond Meal (+ a few Tbsp extra)
1. Take one of the oranges and grate the rind. Cut the orange in half and Juice it. Set aside the juice and rind. Peel the other two oranges and slice into thin circles. (Make sure that you remove the bitter white pith from under the skin.)
2. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease well the sides of the cake tin, and dust with a little almond meal.
3. Place the Honey in the bottom of the prepared cake tin and arrange the orange slices over the honey.
4. In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, and mix in the orange rind. Slowly add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each one until combined and then mix in the orange juice.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the Semolina, Baking Powder and 1 cup Almond Meal. Gently fold into the wet ingredients.
6. Place the cake batter into the tin over the top of the oranges and smooth with a spatula to make sure it is distributed evenly.
7. Bake for approx. 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
8. Allow the cake to cool in the tin, until it is cool enough to handle and turn out onto a serving plate.